I recently was asked to suggest some podcasts to a friend of a friend. I thought others might like to find some cool stuff to listen to, so the list is below.
My Podcasts and why I like them:
- Up First
- Great way to get info on daily happenings each workday
- WorkLife with Adam Grant
- New, but I really like it. About making your life better through working better. Not preachy
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- I stick with the interviews, really interesting people. Long. But he also has printed show notes which are super helpful.
- Recode Decode
- Kara Swisher is a genius. A must for women and those interested in tech.
- This American Life
- The Sunday afternoon of podcasts. Always interesting and relaxed
- Political fact finding about our current admin
- How I Built This with Guy Raz
- Founder stories from the founders.
- Rough Translation
- Not many of these, but it shows how US news stories play out around the world, and what the global perspective is.
- Showcase from Radiotopia
- So this is the mini series of podcasts. When creators only have 4-7 podcasts on a subject they put them here. The current one Errerything is good, and so was the first on changing sound. But I got annoyed by the Puliebus conspiracy one.
- History of the Bible
- Exactly what it says. It looks and the different historical versions (ancient editors) and goes through the different books of the bible. I take them in small doses, but really enjoy what I am learning.
- 99% Invisible
- How design can effect parts of humanity that we don’t see or didn’t know was foundational.
- Planet Money
- Econ for my brain. Very enjoyable and logical.
- Design Matters with Debbie Millman
- Interviews with designers and interesting people in life.
- Hidden Brain
- Ideas on psychology and application of the real work. Things like Malcom Gladwell books, Outliers, and the tipping point.
- The Way I heard it with Mike Rowe
- 15 min short stories in the style of Paul Harvey.
- More econ but in a different way. More macro and less on personal money management.
- Savage Lovecast
- Smart sex stuff, and LBGTQ inclusiveness
- PlayDate with Sarah Jones
- Amazing performer who looks at life from many perspectives, but sadly she hasn’t recorded many nor recorded lately.
- Reveal: The Center for Investigative Reporting
- Great interviews and reporting by Al Lutson
Not subscribed, but grab sometimes
- Fresh Air
- I don’t subscribe, but I like them sometimes. Also a Sunday afternoon feel.
- Too Embarrassed to Ask
- By Recode. I grab the ones that sounds interesting to me.
- Desert Island Discs
- Old BBC radio show that kept up to date. Learn about the influence of music on different people’s lives
- Unattended Consequences
- Not on any more, but it was good. Conversations between Pat Rothfuss and Max Temkin (Cards against humanity) during the Trump election. I wish they would bring it back.
- Crazy story, still not sure how I feel about it.
- Ditto, follow up to Serial
- Harvest Eating Podcast
- Good info, but not how I want to get my recipes
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
- Recomended to me, I haven’t got into it yet
- 10% Happier with Dan Harris
- Interview style of different meditation thinkers and the like. Not sure why it’s not in my normal rotation.
- The Indicator
- Like Planet money but way short. Felt like it was mostly ads.
- I like interviews with interesting people who build cool shit.
- A lot are NPR podcasts, because that is where I started and heard more recommendations
- I listen to all but the Desert Island on 1 ½ speed. It started with the Tem Ferriss ones, and my annoyance at the ums, and pauses. It bugs my boyfriend but works for me. Kara Swisher, is the only one that seem like it is a bit fast, because that bitch gets shit done!
I hope you enjoy the list! I didn’t realize how many were on it. Don’t be intimidated! You can find them on iTunes or wherever you find you podcasts.