Startup founders = Artists or A realization at a Music Fest
Listening to great music at a Traveler’s Rest Music Festival last week, I realize that musicians and techies are more similar than I ever realized.
Coding is like music composition, with its own language, styles, and rifts. Case in point, there are huge paralles, but with the same idea being called different things.
- A good musician and a good coder and hear/ see when it is off.
- VCs = record labels
- Pivot= trying to find your sound
- Pitch events = battle of the bands
- Demo day= music festival
- To be “classically trained” in code you go to Standford instead of Juilliard. And for both if you are really good you just dropout and get huge.
- Both have their 3 big mecas:
- LA, Nashville, and New York
- Silicon Valley, Austen, and New York.
- Both have their top press magazines: Rolling Stones and Wired.
- Both have the last generation or rockstars-some of who are relevant, some forgotten.
- They both even have poster boy humanitarians: Bono and Gates.
Startup founders = artists
(It’s something that I’m sure others have noticed before but it totally hit for me last week)